ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 2009. The B.E. Mechanical Engineering program was duly approved by AICTE and affiliated to Anna University. An intake of 60 was sanctioned initially. Subsequently, in the year 2012, an additional intake of 60 was sanctioned. The department activities are fully supported by the dedicated and qualified faculty. The department has well-experienced faculty and staff members of proven track record in the field of Mechanical Engineering. All faculty members are having a minimum teaching experience of 5 years with a minimum qualification of post graduate degree including 4 faculty members with Ph.D qualification. The faculty members in the department are periodically attending workshops and conferences to upgrade their skills. In addition, the department also organizes workshops, seminars, symposiums and Staff development programmes to expose about the recent developments. The SAE India collegiate club has been functioning actively since the academic year 2012-13.
The department imparts the basic knowledge in the areas of Mechanical Engineering including Hydraulics & Fluid Machinery, Thermal Engineering, Manufacturing Technology, Material science, Design of Machine elements, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Industrial Management, etc.,
Under Graduate Programmes
Course Name: B.E Mechanical Engineering
Course Duration: 4 Years
ENGINEERING PRACTICES LAB
The objective of this lab course is to provide exposure to the students with hands on experience on various basic engineering practices in Civil & Mechanical Engineering (i.e. Carpentry, plumbing, sheet metal, welding, lathe and Foundry)
MANUFACTURING TECH LAB 1
The objective of this lab course is to study and practice the various operations that can be performed in lathe, shaper, drilling, milling machines etc. and to equip with practical knowledge required in the core industries.
MANUFACTURING TECH LAB 2
The objective of this lab course is to study and acquired knowledge on various basic machining operations in special purpose machines and its applications in real life manufacture of components in the industry.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB 1
The objective of this lab course is to study valve timing- V diagram and performance of IC engines, to study the characteristics of fuels/lubricants used in IC engines and to study the performance of steam generator/turbine.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB 2
The objective of this lab course is to study the heat transfer phenomena predict the relevant coefficient using implementation and to study the performance of refrigeration cycle/components
The objective of this lab course is to supplement the principles learnt in kinematics and dynamics of machinery and to understand how certain measuring devices are used for dynamic testing.
METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS LAB
The objective of this lab course is to familiar with different measurement equipments and use of these equipments in quality inspection.
The objective of this lab course is to impart knowledge about the elements and techniques involved in mechatronics systems which are very much essential to understand the emerging field of automation.
The objective of this lab course is to gain practical experience in handling 2D drafting and 3D modeling software systems, to study the features of CNC machine tool, to expose students to modern control systems and to know the applications of various CNC machines like CNC lathe, CNC vertical machining centre, CNC EDM and CNC wire-cut and studying of Rapid prototyping
INDUSTRY ATTACHED LABORATORIES
TVS HARITA TECH SERVE DIGITAL MANUFACTURING AND PRODUCT DESIGN LAB
The objective of this lab course is to
- Create a pool of strong Industry ready talent from the students undergoing training in CATIA and DELMIA software.
- Help them understand concepts in design, various phases and roles that design engineers play in real life.
- Exposing them to CAD-CAM-CAE-PLM-ANALYSIS conceptually and to the relevant software tools to enhance their skills. Expose them to reverse engineering which is the most practised product development practice in India.
- Bridge the gap between Industry requirements and skills taught in CATIA and DELMIA software beyond academic course.
- Teach and build interactive skills and team work in students during their education and making them much more objective when they enter real life.
- Groom engineers who are highly conversant with design processes involving need-finding, ethnographic field work, rapid prototyping and testing.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has set up a library to support the students as well as the staff members in their academic purpose. It consists of more than 60 volumes of Engineering books, which includes books covering Thermal Engineering, Design, Manufacturing, Inudstrial Engineering, workshop practice, Tribology and Automobile Engineering areas. A lending period of 15 days is allowed for students and lending period of 60 days is allowed for staff members. A reading room of 900 sq.ft area is specially alloted for department library. Working time of department library is from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM. Significant volumes of reference books are added in the department library every year for the benefit of students and staff members.
NO OF VOLUMES 60
- D. Vinoth Kumar of 2010-2014 batch has secured FOURTH RANK in the University Exams. He secured CGPA of 9.25 and he was topper among 510 colleges.
- Anumareddy Sukesh Reddy of 2017-2018 batch has secured SIXTEENTH RANK in the University Exams. He secured CGPA of 9.05 and he was topper among 510 colleges.
- Total investment made to establish state of art labs pertaining to Mechanical Engineering Department alone is 2,22,92,497/-
- Successfully completed research project titled “Design and development of semi automatic portable modular type arc welding robot for fabrication of armor structures” worth 9,69,000/- funded by DRDO under CARS Scheme.
- CNC Tool room at an cost of 30,00,000 has been established.
- 90% of the students are placed in core companies every year.
- Industrial visits and Guest lectures are regularly arranged for all students in both odd and even semesters.
- Our students won First Prize of 30,000/- in “India Design Week Contest” organized by AutoDesk & ICT Academy at Sairam Engineering College in the academic year 2017-18.
- Teaching experience of faculty is more than 8
- 4 Faculty members are qualified with D and 2 Faculty members are pursuing Ph.D.
- More than 130 Research papers have been published in reputed international journals and conferences.
- About 28 Research papers have been published by final year students in the academic year 2018-19 alone.
- Accredited by
- Faculty development programs, workshops and conferences are frequently conducted in promising areas of Mechanical Engineering.
- Faculty members are involved in active research in the areas of Composite materials, Metal cutting, Total Quality Management and Electrical Vehicles.
- Funded projects and Consultancy work are being carried out.
- Two Projects from the department were shortlisted for second round in Smart India Hackathon-2019 conducted by MHRD & AICTE.
- Collegiate Club & MOUs were established with Professional Bodies and Industries such as SAEINDIA and TVS Harita Techserv Ltd.
- Hands on CNC training to students.
- Active functioning of Eight Technical Clubs in the department such as CNC Club, CAR Assembly Club, Manufacturing Technology Club, Bike Club, AutoCAD Club, PRO-E Modeling Club, Analysis Club and CATIA Club.
- TVS HARITA TECHSERV Product Design & Digital Manufacturing Lab was established at the cost of 70 Lakhs and providing job opportunities through Campus placement every year.
- SAE INDIA collegiate club has been functioning actively since the academic year 2012-13.
- 28 Prizes in SAEINDIA Tier-II Student Convention and Three prizes in SAEINDIA Tier-III Student Convention in the academic year 2018-19.
- Students have participated and won prizes in National level symposia.
- Active participation with a proto-type model of “AUTOMATIC SHOP FLOOR CLEANER” in the IMTEX 2019 Exhibition held at Bangalore and got runner title in the Quiz competition.
No. of Projects
|No. of Publications||
No. of Patents
|National Conference||International Conference||International Journal|
Professional Body : SAEINDIA
|No. of Activities||Details|
|S.NO||NAME OF THE FACULTY||QUALIFICATION||DESIGNATION||EXPERIENCE|
|1||Dr. P. L. N. RAMESH||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||25 YRS|
|2||Dr. P. JAYARAMAN||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||20 YRS|
|3||Dr. P. MOHAMED ALI||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||36 YRS|
|4||Dr. V. JAYASEELAN||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||19 YRS|
|5||Mr.R. RAGAVENDRAN||B.E., M.E.,||Associate Professor||14 YRS|
|6||Mr.P. SARMAJI KUMAR||B.E., M.E.||Associate Professor||13 YRS|
|7||Mr.N.GOPINATH||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||21 YRS|
|8||Mr.N. RAMASAMY||B.E., M.E.,(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||15 YRS|
|9||Mr.R. KARTHICK||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||7YRS|
|10||Mr.K.BALACHANDAR||B.E.,M.Tech||Assistant Professor||6 YRS|
|11||Mr.D.MEGANATHAN||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||6 YRS|
|12||Mr.T.THIRUMALAI||B.E., M. Tech.||Assistant Professor||4 YRS|
|13||Mr G.LOGACHANDAR||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||6 YRS|
|14||Mr M.SATHYA PRAKASH||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||4 YRS|
|17||Mr B.SEENU||B.E., M.E||Assistant Professor||3 YRS|
|18||Mr M.PRABU||B.Tech., M.E.,||Assistant Professor||3 YRS|
|S.NO||NAME OF THE STAFF||QUALIFICATION||DESIGNATION||EXPERIENCE|
|1||RAMALINGAM. S||ITI||Lab technician||20 YRS|
|2||BABU.B.K||ITI||Skilled attender||17 YRS|
|3||ANNAMALAI. N||I.T.I.||Skilled attender||5 YRS|
|4||CHENCHIAH R||ESLC||Office attender||5 YRS|
The Mechanical Engineering department strives to be recognized globally for outstanding education and research leading to well-qualified engineers, who are having sound technical knowledge with ground-breaking approach and to develop entrepreneurial skills among the students to cater the ever changing industrial demands and communal requirements.
- To impart quality education to the students of Mechanical Engineering to excel in their chosen field.
- To develop state-of-the-art research facilities for stakeholders to excel in globally competitive world.
- To develop associations with educational institutes, R&D organizations and industries and for prominence teaching, research and consultancy.
- To provide the students with academic environment of excellence, leadership and ethical guidelines and lifelong learning required for a prolonged fruitful career.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
To train the graduates to be excellent in engineering profession by updating technical skill-sets and applying new ideas as the technology evolves.
To enable the graduates to excel in professional career and /or higher education by acquiring knowledge in mathematical, calculation and engineering principles.
To enable the graduates to be competent to grasp, analyze, design, and create new products and solutions for the real time problems that are technically advanced, economically feasible and socially acceptable.
To enable the graduates to pursue a productive career as a member of multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams, with an appreciation for the value of ethic and cultural diversity and an ability to relate engineering issues to broader social context.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
- An ability to apply knowledge of fundamentals of mechanics, mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals appropriate to the discipline.
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and formulate the engineering requirements appropriate to its solution.
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a mechanical-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and modern tools necessary for manufacturing practice.
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of engineering on individuals, organizations, and society.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- An ability to function effectively individually and on teams, including diverse and multidisciplinary, to accomplish a common goal.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- An understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects.
- An ability to analyze the efficiency and the performance of the software with respect to meet the requirements and specifications of the expected outcome.
- An ability to use simulation tools to get experimental results for the Real-Time system.
4140total visits,9visits today
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes