ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Biotechnology was started in 2001 and is offering B.Tech (Biotechnology) programme since 2002. The department has the objective to impart technical education and training in the broader area of Biotechnology to the aspiring students and make them skillful and employable by imparting technical skills required by the life science industries.
The Department is equipped with the state-of-the-art laboratories and has nearly 150 students and 9 faculty members. The department was approved by AICTE (732-52-394, EYET/2001 dated: 30.08.2001) and permanently affiliated to Anna University (Lr.No:467/CAI/Permanent Affln./2014-15 dt.18.11.14) and accreditated with National Board of Accreditaion(NBA), New Delhi.
In the present changing technological advancement in biotechnology arena, B.Tech Biotechnology programme is designed to prepare the students for successful professional careers in this cutting-edge area. This is a challenging task as it involves teaching diversified subjects in both biology and engineering.
The Department of Biotech has carved its own unique niche in imparting quality learning. With well-equipped separate spacious labs for computational biology, Biochemistry, Bio-processing, Genetic Engineering, Chemical Engineering and an Animal house, the department is producing 100% percent pass in the final year consistently for the past 4 years. The department functions with 1-Professor, 2-Associate Professors and 6-Assistant Professors. Majority of the faculty members are having doctoral qualification with expertise in Immuno Biotechnology, Genomics, Computational Biology, Nano Biotechnology, Natural Product Bioengineering, etc
The Department of Biotechnology has four Classrooms and one Smart Digital Classroom with Department Library and full-fledged air-Conditioned laboratories that include
- Biochemistry Lab
- Bioprocess Lab
- Genetic Engineering Lab
- Computational Biology Lab
- Chemical Engineering Lab
The laboratories in the department are well-equipped with advanced instrumentation facility which fulfils the demands of the syllabus and research activities. In addition each and every lab of the department possesses indigenous and imported equipment. The complete program specific laboratory details are given below.
GENETIC ENGINEERING LAB
|Lab||Major Equipment||Course conducted|
|Genetic Engineering||PCR Machine (16 wells)
High Speed Centrifuge (10°C – 100°C)
Cooling Centrifuge (-8°C – 20°C)
Deep Freezer 170 L (-20°C)
Laminar Air Flow Hood –Horizontal
Gel Documentation System with gel analysis software
ELISA Plate Washer
Electrical Balance (0.1 mg – 100g)
Digital Photo Colorimeter, 400-680 nm
Water Bath 1500W, 230V
|BT-6512 – Molecular Biology
BT-6611 – Genetic Engineering
BT-6712 – Immunology Lab
BT-6212 – Microbiology Lab
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING – COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY – ANIMAL HOUSE
|Lab||Major Equipments||Course conducted|
|Chemical Engineering||Venturi Orifice and Rota Meter apparatus
Flow Through Annular & Straight Pipe
Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger
Fluidized Bed Reactor
Packed Bed Reactor
|BT-6411 – Chemical Engineering Lab|
|Computational Biology||Computers – 61
Dotmatix Printer – 05
Laser Printer – 01
Internet Speed – 12Mbps
UPS (10Kva) – 1
|BT-6713 – Bioinformatics Lab|
BIO CHEMISTRY LAB – BIOPROCESS LAB
|NAME OF THE LAB||NAME OF EQUIPMENT||COURSES CONDUCTED|
|BIOCHEMISTRY LAB||UV-spectrometer – 1||
BT8261 – Biochemistry Lab
BT8512 – Instrumental Methods of analysis Lab
|Fluorometer – 2|
|Fume hood apparatus – 1|
|Compound microscope – 3|
|Oil bath,max temp 300ºc – 3|
|Auto clave max temp 121ºc – 1|
|Refrigerator 175 lits – 1|
|Hot air oven max temp-250ºC – 1|
|Digital photo calorimeter – 1|
|BIOPROCESS LAB||Fermentor(2lit) – 1||BT8311 – Cell Biology Lab
BT6511/ BT8511 – Bioprocess – I Lab
BT6612/ BT8611 – Bioprocess –II Lab
BT6711 / BT8711 – Downstream Processing Lab
|Ultra filtration unit – 2|
|Peristaltic pump(pp-20) – 2|
|Compound microscope – 3|
|Orbital shaker(24 flasks) – 1|
|Peristaltic pump(pp10) – 2|
|Shaker (0-270rpm) – 1|
|BOD Incubator – 1|
|Oilless compressor – 1|
|Laminar air flow – 1|
|Incubator – 37ºc – 1|
|Digital photo colorimeter – 1|
- A well equipped modern and spacious laboratory animal house. All quality control facility to do experiment with swiss albino mice and Albino wistar rats.
- Testing provision for pharma products, research findings, Immunological studies, microbiological aasays, mutagenicity and carcinogenisty studies, bio compatability tests, drug screening, Allergic assays and many other testings.
- ANIMAL HOUSE FACILITY: INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL ETHICS COMMITTEE (1949/PO/Re/S/17/CPCSEA)The IAEC of Prathyusha Engineering College consisting of 9 members has extended the research facility by constructing the animal house and received an approval from CPCSEA on March 2017
- The Department has the cultivation zone for oyster mushroom in a commercial scale. We have a sterile room, specially allocated for the mushroom cultivation. This mushroom cultivation will be a follow up activity by our department to enhance the entrepreneurial skills of biotech students
“Dr.P.DHASARATHAN”, Head of the Biotechnology Department presented his innovative poster at 4th Microbiome R&D and Business Collaboration Congress held at Hotel Fort Canny, Singapore, titled “Stimulation of Probiotics on Health Status of Birds challenged with Bacterial Pathogen”
“Professor Dr.AJA. RANJIT SINGH”, Department of Biotechnology has been honoured by MOSA UNIVERSITY, ZAMBIA as “Ceremonial Chancellor”
- Our Department produced 5 Anna University Rank Holders from 2014-2018 Batch.
- ” SINTHIYA.S and NIKHILA. S of II Year Biotech won BEST PAPER AWARD – SECOND PRIZE with CASH PRIZE of ₹500 for their paper titled “Diagnosis of infectious bronchitis virus(corona virus) by hemagglutination using trypsin” at a “NATIONAL CONFERENCE on Biology in Human Welfare and Bio – Entrepreneurship” held at VELS INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY during 28.02.2019 to 01.03.2019″
- 12 Biotech students have been placed at “OMICS International Pvt., Ltd.,” through campus placement drive.
- 21 Biotech students have been placed at “Scope e-Knowledge Center (P) Ltd.,” through campus placement and offered immediate “Project based Internship” from 08, January 2018 for 3 months
- III year Biotech students won prizes in the following Technical Events held at SSN institutions Tech Fest “INVENTE 2.0” on 08.09.2017 and 09.09.2017
- BRAINICS: 2ND PRIZE – Rs.1500 CASH PRIZE
2 K.Naveen kumar
- SCIENTELLIGENCE: 1ST PRIZE – Rs.2000 CASH PRIZE
2. K.Naveen kumar
- METTALINO : 3RD PRIZE
2. G.Hariraj kiran
- TELLURIANS : 3RD PRIZE
2. G.Hariraj kiran
- N.Rajalekshmi, IV year, Department of Biotechnology attended an International Workshop on ‘Modern Biophysical Tools and Techniques’ at IIT-Bombay, funded by the Biophysical Society, Maryland, USA, between 11-15th December, 2017, along with 28 other students selected from all over the world.
- J. NAVEENA, from IV YEAR BIOTECH got 91% ELITE WITH GOLD MEDAL in NPTEL- September examination conducted by IIT for the course “Introduction to R tool Software”
- H.Harini, IV Yr/ Biotech, got 90 % ELITE WITH GOLD MEDAL in NPTEL- October examination conducted by IIT and declared as 5% of Toppers for the course “Cell Culture Technologies”
SHREE SIVARAMAYA MERIT SCHOLARSHIP FOR TOPPERS AWARD (View)
|Academic Year||No. of students received Scholarship||Total Amount (Rs)||Details|
List of MoUs
|Academic Year||No. of Companies||Name of the companies||Details|
|2017-18||1||Aaranya Biosciences, Chennai||View|
|2015-16||2||Abbes Biotech, Chennai
Life Teck Research, Chennai
|2014-15||1||Medox Biotech, Chennai|
The department has a well equipped library with collection of book in various disciplines of Life Sciences like Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Bioprocess Engineering, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry and Microbiology and also maintains project works done by the students.
No: of Titles : 255
|Academic Year||Percentage||No. of University Ranks|
|Academic Year||Placement Percentage||No. of Companies||Details|
|Academic Year||No. of Projects||Achievements||Details|
|2017-18||89||Best project award : 3
Best Paper award : 3
Publications : 11
|2016-17||90||Best project award : 3
Best Paper award : 5
Publications : 3
|2015-16||23||Best project award : 3
Best Paper award : 5
Publications : 6
|2014-15||20||Best project award : 3
Best Paper award : 5
Publications : 1
PUBLICATIONS – RESEARCH FUNDS
|Academic Year||No. of Publications||Details of publications|
|Academic Year||No. of Publications||Details of publications|
|Academic Year||No. of Grants Received||Details of Grant|
|Professional Body||Academic year||Members||No. of Activities||Details|
|IEEE||2017 – 18||Dr. P. Dhasarathan
|IEEE||2015-16||Dr. P. Dhasarathan
|Dr. P. Dhasarathan||Associate Professor, HOD||M. Sc., M. Tech., Ph.D.||13 email@example.com|
|Prof. A. J. A Ranjith Singh||Professor||M. Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||42 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. K. Cholapandian||Associate Professor||M. Tech., (Ph.D.)||10 email@example.com|
|Dr. A. Praveena||Assistant Professor||M. Sc., Ph.D.||4 years||Praveena.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. M. Thenmozhi||Assistant Professor||M. Sc., Ph.D.||4 years||Thenmozhi.email@example.com|
|Dr. S. Sathya||Assistant Professor||M. Sc., Ph.D.||1 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. S. Divya Lakshmi||Assistant Professor||M. Tech.||1 email@example.com|
|Mrs. B. Ponjayanthi||Assistant Professor||M. Tech.||1 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms. Joyce Hellen Sathya||Assistant Professor||M. Tech.||3 email@example.com|
Co – Curricular & Extra-Curricular Activities
Extra – Curricular Activities
|Organized||Participated||Details||Total no. of participation||Details|
|2017 – 18||8||65||View||10||View||View|
|2016 – 17||13||102||View||8||View||View|
|2015 – 16||13||40||View||8||View||View|
|2014 – 15||6||65||View||15||View||View|
To provide state-of-the art facilities for bio-inspired students to develop creative, innovative and entrepreneurial skill to address real-world issues and to become job ready graduates.
PEC Biotech abides by the principle of “educating students for career success” and preparing students for global market place.
- Providing a dynamic learning environment to individual bioengineers to develop their talents and innovations in all branches in biotech hub and to induce entrepreneurial vision.
- Initiating research motivation and reaching goals through individual or group minor and major projects in thrust areas of biotechnology.
- Inculcating a sense of curiosity and ambition as tenets to reach greater heights through teaching, training and research programmes.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVIES (PEOs)
Our graduates will have the ability to excel in the broader area of Biotechnology
Our graduates will exhibit both theoretical and technical skill in the field of Biotechnology
Our graduates will have ability to apply the technical skills to make products of value which ensures the welfare of human kind.
Our graduates will develop ability to design the system, a component or a process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, legal, ethical, regulatory, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
- The graduates are expected to have ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, modern biology, engineering and biotechnology.
- The graduates are expected to possess ability to identify, formulate and solve bio-engineering problems.
- The graduates are expected to have ability to design a system, a component, or a process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- The graduates are expected to have the ability to design and conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data to develop modern drug.
- The graduates are expected to have the ability to select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern biotechnology tools.
- The graduates are expected to have the ability in apply reasons informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice.
- The graduates are expected to have the ability to understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts.
- The graduates are expected to have understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- The graduates are expected to possess ability to function in multi-disciplinary teams.
- The graduates are expected to communicate effectively.
- The graduates are expected to engage themselves in life-long learning.
- The graduates are expected to understand engineering and management principles and apply those to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE (PSO’s)
The program specific objective of the four year Bachelor of Technology degree program in biotechnology targets the students to learn and to get training in the domains if their interest in biotechnology to come out as successful person in their career. The central dogma of PSO includes “INVENTION, INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP”
- The prime PSO is to endow the students to have a deeper insights in the Fundamentals of Biotechnology topics and to acquaint them with various upcoming and challenging areas relevant to biotech industry and research and development sectors.
- The intensive training to be imparted in the promising areas like r-DNA technology, in-silico technology, industrial biotechnology, Food and health care technology, biochemical and gene manipulation technology, Bioprocess technology and immune-therapeutic technology through practicals, mini and major projects, industrial training will help the students to conceive an idea for their successful career after course completion.
- The programme is further specific enable the student to become biotech innovators, technocrats, entrepreneurs or researchers one or more field of the choice and how to scale up their innovative intellectual property/skill to get a final product/lifelong achievement.
- The eye opening lectures and practical will help the motivated students to pursue higher education in the biotech branch of the choice in India or abroad in reputed institutions.
5216total visits,1visits today
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes